Thursday, May 5, 2011

And the Winner is ...


Now Saturday when we were looking at dogs the choice was at first narrowed down to Merry (a lab/retriever mix), Shiva (a retriever/dachshund mix) and that was it. On Saturday, I was told that Shiva had heartworms and needed to be kept calm - not a good fit with K. So I was thinking Merry would be a great fit for our family. But the Humane Society was closing and there was no one there that really knew what dogs would be good with kids.

Monday rolled around and I went back to the Humane Society. I looked at the dogs again and in the running was Merry, Scrappy (another lab/retriever mix), Oliver (a beagle mix). These dogs were all under a year old. I spoke with a very helpful woman named Berta. She interviewed me and said that she would prefer to see Merry in a setting with a yard rather then an apartment. This was because Merry would be a big dog and needs lots of room to run and play. I told her whatever dog we choose would be walked several times a day and taken to a local dog park. Berta frowned on that - only because of the apartment living. She brought Merry out to meet me anyway. Merry was a sweet and loving dog, but she had a lot of energy and loves to jump. She loved to jump a little too much, and I know with K that would freak her out. So I had to be fair to Merry and leave her. She is a dog that deserves a big yard to run and play in. It is not fair to any dog not to have a yard to play in.

The next choice was Scrappy. He was vetoed down by Berta even before we got to meet him. This was because he was apart of a pair. The Human Society would not split the pair up ... and I am not ready to own 2 dogs.

The third choice was Oliver. Now I did not see Oliver on Saturday or on Monday when I looked at the dogs. He was not in his cage. I took a chance because I had a beagle mix dog before and she was great! Oliver came out and he was calm. He loved to play and was friendly. He jumped a bit, but he is a puppy. Like the saying goes, three times is a charm and knew that this was the dog for our family.

After work and school, DH and I took K to meet Oliver. K was more interested in the toys then the actual dog at first. DH was happy with Oliver and the deal was sealed. We brought Oliver home Monday night. Oliver was renamed by DH as Snoopy.

Now Monday night, K was excited by Snoopy, but still much more interested in his toys. Before she went to bed, she sat by Snoopy's cage and said "Snoopy goes night-night".

Tuesday night, K sat by Snoopy's cage and was singing to him.

Wednesday morning, she was taking Snoopy's toys and he would chase her in the apartment. He would like her or try to get the toy. K would scream then laugh and then say "K okay" with a big old grin on her face.

Wednesday night, she climbed into the kennel cage and tried to close the door. Also on the way home from school, K was asking for Snoopy.

K is real curious about Snoopy. She will sit by his cage and watch him and talk or sing to him. She is learning to say "Down Snoopy" "No Snoopy". She likes him a lot and she has been calmer in the 3 1/2 days that we have had him. K is still a little nervous around him, but I think that will soon pass.

So the obvious winner was Snoopy - he is overall a loving, friendly, happy, quiet dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment