Sunday, May 29, 2011

IEP TIME ON 5/17/11

Tuesday the 17th of May, I had her IEP with Mrs.Y (her teacher), Mrs. SC (the Autism Coordinator), and a mainstream teacher. Everything went great! I LOVE her school and her teachers - especially since she started this new school for Kindergarten.

At first the Mainstream Teacher talked to me about what K would be doing if she were in her classroom. (Now at this point K is not ready to mainstreamed) But I guess they do that so the parents know what going on in both types of classrooms. After that she left. Mrs. Y and Mrs. SC told first told me they thought K should go to summer school to work on certain skills. (This was on the top of my concerns for her and I did not have to bring it up -this was a total plus for me! Last year at her old school, I had to fight for her to go to summer school!) They also told me they want to work on basic math skills like adding once she can write all her numbers. Also they have been working on reading skills with her. Mrs. Y says they K reads basic sentences for them, but she will not do it at home for us. (I will have to work on her with this a lot more). They also want her to be independent, like running errands while being watched and with other kids. (This made me a little nervous.) The one thing they did not touch on was getting K to answer personal questions like "What is your name/age/etc?". So I brought that up, and they added it. They also are going to work on communication skills, social skills, etc.

Overall, it was a good IEP meeting and I am happy with the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment