Saturday, March 19, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane - tips to flying with a child with autism



Ok so it is one week away or 6 days away that K and I hop on our first 2 hr flight to go visit family. I have being researching and trying to prepare for this adventure by asking people who have flown for tips, calling the US Airways, and looking up things on the computer. So this is what I have gathered:

What to check when ordering the tickets:

  • Check details of tickets to make sure your seats are together (K and my seats were not together - I had to call the airlines 2 times to get this resolved with out having to pay extra for "choice seats")
  • Call the airlines and state you are traveling with a child with Autism to find out what to do to make the how process smoother for you and your child - especially if you are first time fliers.
  • Check to see if there is an Autism Fliers program in your area - this helps kids with autism to learn what to expect when flying - it creates a "mock" flying experience from start to end. (I did not have time to do this.)

What to bring:
  • A backpack with toys for K
  • My laptop & movies for K & head phones
  • A power adapter for that laptop for the plane (consult with airline to see if the plane is equipped with a power source - you will have to provide your own adapter)
  • Snacks for K - NO PUDDING CUPS (check with airline for type of drinks they have)
  • Business cards that say "My daughter has autism. I am doing the best I can. Sorry for the inconvenience"
  • Kiddie leash for K in the airport
  • Change of clothes and wipes
  • Antibacterial hand cleaner  
  • Gum or now & laters, taffy or gummi bears to create that chewing motion (I do not give K gum)
What to do when getting to the airport: (Now this is the steps I am guessing at - have not been through these steps yet):

  • Wear clothes with out metal (zippers, buttons, underwire in bras, etc.) Wear easy slip on clothes.
  • Wear socks with your shoes.
  • Get to the airport 2 to 1 1/2 hours before flight.
  • Bring birth certificate for kids and State Id for yourself (My understating with US Airways is that I cannot check in on the computer systems because I am traveling with a child under 18. So I want to make sure that I have both our IDs just in case.)
  • Advise airline when I get there that I am traveling with a child with autism when I check in. 
  • Bring benadryll or other calming medication - to give before flight - depending on the time it takes to kick in.
  • Do not give comfort toy to child until after security to prevent fall outs. 
  • Provide another comfort item like Lollipop for security process (I am guessing - this works with K as a great motivator - but have not tested it out in airport security.)
  • Tell security that my daughter has autism.
  • Let the people who work on the plane know that my child has autism.
  • Remain calm and positive and hope that the child is the same.
  •  Hope and pray that it is a smooth flight.
Any one who has flown - who wants to make any suggestions- please do! I will report back on Fri March 25th how the flight went.

Below are some links to sites I have checked out regarding flying with a child who has autism:


No comments:

Post a Comment